Friday, February 22, 2013

Storytelling: For or Against

The past couple of weeks we have talked and reminisced upon storytelling. In class, Dr. Melzow has asked us multiple times to think of stories that our parents told us when we were younger. Each time she has asked us to do this I find myself drawing blanks. I simply can’t remember anything my parents might have told me. Upon further thinking, I really don’t think my parents told me stories or urban legends to scare me into being careful about things and for this I am extremely thankful. I personal did not enjoy reading any of the urban legends that we read in “Reading Culture” this week and I am a college student. There is no way that I would ever tell my kids some of those stories. This isn’t coming from an overprotective mindset or outlook on life, but rather was mindset that I want my kids to have pure minds and thoughts. These stories are evil and why should I bring evil into my kid’s minds? If I don’t want my kids to do something, I will simply tell them why they shouldn’t do something or go somewhere and will give them a clear vision on why I am asking them of that. Then, they will see where I am coming from and will know that I only want what is best for them. I would much rather speak truth and give reasoning than to scare someone into believing what I am saying. Do you agree with or do you think this is being a little extreme?

3 comments:

  1. Ryan,I think you propose a exetremely vaild point in your blog. Scaring kids into doing the right thing seems a little harsh, but at the same time being sheltered/unaware of all the dangers out there could drasticly affect your children in a negative way. I understand where your coming from when you state that you want your kids to have "pure minds and thoughts". What involved parent wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. I myself was a little disturbed reading those stories in class and thankful my parents never told me anything like that. Yes children shouldn't be raised to be naive but they also shouldn't have their innocence taken away from them before they are ready. Let them enjoy the world as a wonderful new thing to be discovered rather than scar them into becoming sheltered and nervous about it. They shouldn't have to deal with things like this until they can understand that yes, the world can be an amazing place but also can have some bad aspects of it. That's what my parents did for me and that's what I hope I can do for my own future kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Fear has forever and always been an inferior motivation. Instead of invisioning yourself on the benefits of doing what is right, filling your mind with the horrific consequences of bad choices both stresses you out and makes life far less fun. I would hate to avoid death at the cost of dying a thousand times in my head. If something is truly the right thing to do, a lineup of legitimate benefits should be readily within sight to provide plenty of motivation and drive towards that end.

    ReplyDelete